Spot tracker info

Hey everyone! You can find a link to our SPOT tracker below:


Also check out the Watertribe challenge mapper at:

Monday, September 19, 2011

Leeboard layup

Fast forward a couple weeks - I have really been slacking off on posting but only because I've been working harder at getting things done, I promise! After finishing the leeboard blank at Trent's place, I brought the board home to shape the final contour and seal the board out with a layer of glass.

I started by laying out the handle and rounded tip using a ruler and a compass. The tip is just a semicircle of slightly larger diameter than the width of the board. The handle was a little more complicated. I decided to only roughly center it on the board but try to keep two full board widths from the original layup - the joint lines made an actually centered shape looked sorta out of kilter. The handle shape and contour are formed from intersecting circular segments.

Roughed tip shape

Once the layout was complete I rough cut the shapes with a jigsaw. Final contouring took a couple hours with a block plane and sandpaper. For the interior curves I wished I had a spokeshave or a spindle sander. Once contouring was complete the board got a good final sanding and a layer of 6oz glass on both sides.

Leeboard layup in progress
The layup went pretty smoothly despite threatening thunderstorms and the distractions of NFL games. I left the board to cure outside overnight and it got an early waterproofing check, fortunately it is built for that! This last weekend we had  fun boat overhaul bash. Tim sanded the glass down and gave it a coat of spar varnish. After the varnish went on it was clear that this is the best built component on the boat!  
Tim sands the leeboard. You can't tell, but he is smiling.

The leeboard, installed on The Rise

No comments:

Post a Comment